Before beginning the installation process, please make sure you are using the latest version of WordPress and the Theme.
Thank you for choosing MagazineMunk WordPress theme! This documentation covers the installation and the usage of the theme. We encourage you to read through this document and keep it handy for reference. If you have any questions about the theme or need assistance with anything related to the theme, please feel free to open a support ticket and our support team will be happy to assist you.
The main goal of the documentation is to provide guidance and walk-through to set up the theme for your website in an easy-to-follow manner, while also introducing you to some of the features of the theme. First, we’ll make sure that everything is ready for the installation, then we’ll set up the theme, and cover some initial configuration and customization options.
Let’s get started! First, make sure that you have all the necessary things required to install MagazineMunk.
Make sure you have the latest version of WordPress installed, by checking the updates tab from your current WordPress dashboard.
If you haven’t downloaded WordPress already, you can download it from the WordPress repository via https://wordpress.org/download/ .
Although MagazineMunk will work with 4.5 and above versions of WordPress, it is recommended to have the latest version of WordPress.
After you have the latest version of WordPress, download the theme, and save it somewhere handy on your computer, as you will be using the included files for the rest of the installation process.
WordPress Theme Files— This ( magazinemunk.zip) is a compressed WordPress theme file containing all of the required templates, images and icons required for the theme to function properly.
Step 1: Upload and Activation
There are two methods to install MagazineMunk theme. You may either upload the magazinemunk.zip file using the WordPress theme installer (Recommended), or you can unzip magazinemunk .zip and upload the unzipped folder via FTP (Advanced).
Method 1 ( Recommended) : Install Using the WordPress Theme Installer
- Log into your WordPress site and open the Administration Panel.
- Go to Appearance > Themes in the WordPress Dashboard
- Click on the Add New button
- Click on the Upload Theme link
- Click on Choose File, select the magazinemunk .zip file from your computer and click upload.
- Click Install Now.
Method 2: Install Using File Transfer Protocol (FTP)
- Unzip “magazinemunk.zip” file on your computer.
- Login using FTP client to access your host web server.
- Locate the wp-content folder in your WordPress install files.
- Upload the un-zipped ‘magazinemunk’ folder into the: wp-content/themes folder.
For More Information about installing theme using FTP visit :http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Themes#Adding_New_Themes
Some of the feature in this theme is made possible by use of some third-party plugins. All of these plugins are optional and won’t effect your site performance, but they do add certain extra features into your site.
When you activate the theme for the first time you will get a notice in your Dashboard to install these plugins. If you do not want to install these plugins on theme activation then you can ignore the notice and if you change your mind in future then you can install these plugins by going into Dashboard >> Appearance >> Install Plugin.
WP Term Colors – WP Term Colors allows users to assign colors to any visible category, tag, or taxonomy term using a fancy color picker, providing a customized look for their taxonomies.
Shortcodes Ultimate – Shortcodes Ultimate is WordPress plugin that provides mega pack of shortcodes. This is really premium plugin that you can get absolutely for free! See the Shortcodes page on the theme demo to see a few examples.
Jetpack – Jetpack simplifies managing WordPress sites by giving you visitor stats, security services, speeding up images, and helping you get more traffic. Jetpack is a free plugin.
Once the theme has been installed and activated you have to turn on few options before you can begin using the theme.
Go to Appearance >> Customize and you will find all the options and ways you can customise the theme to your liking.
- Choose design layout. ( FullWidth or Boxed).
- Choose Pagination Type .
- Click Save and Publish.
- Enable of Disable Top Header.
- Enable or Disable Search Form on Header.
- Enable or Disable Sticky Menu.
- Click Save and Publish.
- Upload Logo.
- Add Your Site Title and Description.
- Enable or Disable Display of Site Title and Description.
- Upload Site Favicon.
In “Blog Settings” panel you can select the layout of your default blog,archives and category pages. MagazineMunk theme comes with 6 types of layout for your blog.
Homepage Hero Area
MagazineMunk’s Homepage Hero area has QuickPosts, Sliders and Featured Posts.
- Choose whether you want to show Slider or Featured Posts or disable the whole section.
- Choose whether to show slider content from specific posts or category.
- Choose whether to show featured post from specific posts or category.
- In the QuickPosts panel, you can enable or disable QuickPosts and select the source of “QuickPosts” i.e. Either By Posts tags or Post Categories.
- Enable or disable breadcrumbs.
- Enable to show current page/post title in the breadcrumb.
- Change the text that is shown at the start of breadcrumbs. You can enter your site title here for more SEO advantage.
- Change the breadcrumb separator.
Single Post Settings
- Choose post meta that you want to show on single posts.
- Enable or disable Author Bio which is shown in the footer of the single post.
- Enable or disable Featured Image on the single post.
- Enable or disable comments on single post.
- Enable or disable related posts on the single post.
- Select how you want to show related posts. Selecting categories shows related post from that single posts categories and selecting tags show posts from that posts first tag.
- Choose the default sidebar position for single posts.
Post Meta Settings
Post meta setting applies to your default blog, archives and category pages. You can:
- Select the number of characters for post excerpt.
- Enter post ‘Read More’ text.
The Custom Homepage which you see on MagazineMunk Demo is created using a Page Builder by SiteOrigin. Magazinemunk comes with 5 Custom Loop templates that you can use to create a Custom homepage of your liking. Besides that, that homepage demo that you see on Magazinemunk is added as a pre-build layout into our Theme.
Import PreBuilt Layout
- To import the prebuilt layout into your site, Install the Page Builder by SiteOrigin plugin by going to Dashboard >> Appearance >> Install Plugins if you have not installed the plugin already.
- Then Add a new page and click on “PageBuilder” tab as show in following screenshot.
3. Then Click on “Layouts” tab as show in following screenshot:
4. Now click on “Theme Defined” tab and select the Layout Image and click on blue “Insert” button on the bottom right corner.
5. After you click the Insert button, it will ask you to approve the action, once you approve it then it will import the following layout structure into your page.
6. You can now click on each panel and select which posts and categories you want to show in each section.
Also, please do read the documentation on how to use Site Origin Panel over at: https://siteorigin.com/page-builder/documentation/
Custom Loop templates
MagazineMunk comes with 5 Custom Loop templates that you can use with the Page Builder plugin. Each template has its own unique design and you can select how many posts you want to show in each block using the “build post query” button.
You can mix and match and create unlimited number of homepage layouts using these loop templates.
Font (Typography) Settings:
You can find theme font options by navigating to Go to Appearance> Customize> Typography Settings.
You can changes and configure font type, color, font size, line-height, etc for following items:
This will allow you to configure the typography used on your site. You can configure fonts, variant, size, color ( Using Color pallet) and line height in this section.
Click Save & Publish, once you are satisfied with your configurations.
Here you can choose the default accent color of your site. The color that you select in “Color Scheme” applies to various element on your site like link, buttons, border, etc.
- Select Color Scheme.
- Select Background Color. Note: Background color only works if you have selected your “Boxed” in Site Layout option.
- You can also select Background image or choose from one of 50+ background patterns.
- Enable or disable Social links in header.
- Enter your social media links.
- Go to Customize> Custom Codes.
- Click Open Editor to open editor, enter your codes.
- Click Save and Publish.
- Enable or disable Footer Widget Area.
- Enter text that will be placed in footer copyright section.
- Enable or disable footer menu.
- Enable or disable Author Link.
- Enable or disable “Powered By WordPress” Link.
- We highly recommend you to use Child Theme if you need to change the code of the theme. Do not change the codes in the files of the parent theme as all such changes will be lost when the theme is updated. For information about How to create a child theme visit : https://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes
- Always keep BackUp of your theme before making any changes to the theme.
- If you face any problem in using the theme, you can do the following things:
- Deactivate the plugins, sometime plugin conflict may cause issues with the theme. Please deactivate the unused plugins.
- Replace latest modified code with the original code.
- If the issue still pertains, feel free to contact through support ticket .